Friday, December 26, 2008

A Nation of Step-Brothers

I hope everything went swimmingly for everyone yesterday and many glad tidings were wassailed your way. In my own case I've had two Christmas so far and am in for one more turkey dinner tomorrow. I know, I know your all thinking in the words of Napoleon "Lucky!". Let me regale you with a lovely piece of home video news. My always thoughtful sister-in-law gifted me with my very own copy of Pierre Perrault and Michel Brault's stunning NFB documentary from 1963 Pour la suite du monde

This is a very narrowly focused film dealing with regionalism and changing times. As with most movies that deal with disappearing modes of being/speaking/thinking/doing it is at times a bittersweet experience. Although the lively residence of the Ile-aux-Coudres are filled with a joie-de-vie that provides more sweet than bitter making this film uplifting and joyous in many ways.

The reality of this documentary is a little constructed because at the behest of the filmmakers the residence of the island resurrect an old and abandoned whale hunting tradition. This tradition had lain dormant for years and the younger men of the island had to relearn the process from the older residents who dimly recall the hunts of their youth.

I found this film to be a moving, interesting investigation of part of our nation's past. The spirit and humour evident in this film is a truly enjoyable experience. Seek this out at the Public Library, order it from the NFB, beg your local video store to order it, or if your nice you can borrow mine.

Until next time "Call me Dragon"
Sean

No comments: